Posted By James

4 Misunderstood Bible Verses About Hell
1.
Tormented Forever
One verse that confuses people about how long the wicked are going to burn in hell is Revelation 20:10 that says 'And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever'.  You got to remember that English isn't the original language of the Bible, the Bible was translated mostly from Hebrew in the old testament and Greek in the new testament and sometimes words from them languages don't have the exact same meaning in English. 'Forever' is an example of that.

In fact, the word 'forever' is used in the bible over 57 times in the bible even for things that have already come to an end, for example in Exodus 21:5-6 it says about a servant 'And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free: then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him forever.' Here is it saying that the servant will serve his master 'forever' but that obviously meant to the end of his life. So in this case 'Forever' obviously meant to the end of someone's life.

And don't we use the phrase forever sometimes for example: when you are waiting for a friend and when he turns up you say something like 'You took forever'.

2.
The smoke of their torment
Another verse that confuses people about hellfire is Revelation 14:11 that says 'And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name'. Something that people miss here is the fact the phase forever here is not even talking about how long the wicked will burn in hell for.

It's describing how high the smoke from the fire will ascend, and the fire and the destruction that will take place will be so great it will look like there will be no end to how high the smoke will ascend, it says the smoke of the torment ascended up forever and ever.

But eventually, the fire will go out after it finishes doing its job of destroying the wicked, that's what Isaiah 47:14 tells us 'Behold, this shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it'. In other words, it's going to go out, the wicked are going to be burnt to ashes in hellfire and then the flames will go out.

3.
Everlasting Fire
Matthew chapter 18:8 gives people the oppression that that wicked sinners will burn in hell forever, it says 'Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed. rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire'.

Now, this is confusing some verses of the bible say that the wicked will be burnt to ashes and the fire will ultimately go out, but here it calls it the everlasting fire. how can we make sense of this? fortunately, there is another Bible verse that helps us to understand the nature of everlasting or eternal fire. Notice how Jude 7 uses the phase eternal fire which is basically the same as everlasting fire. It says 'Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire'.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Sodom and Gomorrha are not burning now, right. Therefore when the Bible uses the phase everlasting fire or eternal fire, it doesn't necessarily mean a fire that is going to burn forever. It's talking about the effects of the fire, so Sodom and Gomorrha being burned by eternal fire mean that those cities have been destroyed forever. Likewise, when the wicked will be burned by everlasting fire in hell, they will be destroyed forever.

4.
Everlasting Punishment
Matthew chapter 25:46 is another verse that many Christians thinks supports that hell will burn forever, and it says 'And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal'. does everlasting punishment mean that wicked sinners will burn in hell forever? No, notice this talks about the punishment of the wicked, it doesn't say they will experience everlasting punishing.

There's a big difference there because the bible says that the punishment for sin is death, not burning in hell forever. Romans 6:23 says 'For the wages of sin is death' so the everlasting punishment that the wicked will experience is everlasting death. The bible actually calls this the second death, in Revelation 21:8 saying 'But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake of which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death'.

This is called the second death because the wicked actually die twice, they die the common death of all mankind, then they will be resurrected at the end of 1000 years to face the judgment and die the second death in the lake of fire.

Yes, there will be a hell that the wicked will have to go through but it will burn them up into there is nothing but ashes left.